It has been a pleasure to perform at the just concluded EU Human Rights and Democracy Country Strategy for Uganda , which happened on the 29th/November/2016.
I got to know of the event through Emmanuel, he wanted me to perform at the event. he put it this way “We would be happy if your creative talents can be tapped into to. “spicen” the launch.”
The EU has agreed seven priorities as listed below in no order of preference for our engagement with Uganda:
- Freedom of Assembly, freedom of association, freedom of express and press freedom
- Accountability and Anti-corruption
- Transitional justice
- Human rights defenders and the abolition of the death penalty
- Children’s rights
- Women’s rights and gender equality
The event was opened by H.E Kristian Schmidt, EU Head of Delegation.
He gave a ten minute speech on the overview of the DHRCS Children’s Rights before inviting the Guest of Honour David Emong, the 2016 Rio Paralympic Champion.
Speeches were from
- The Chairman of Uganda Human Rights Commission, Dr. Med Kaggwa spoke on freedom of Assembly, Association, Expression
- H.E. Henk Jan Bakker, Ambassador of Netherlands speech centered on Freedom of Press.
- Sarah Kasande Kihika International Centre for Transitional Justice talked about Transitional Justice.
- A Song from EUDEL choir,
- H.E Donal Cronin, Ambassador of Ireland spoke on Human Rights Defenders.
- Poem performed by Mr Emmanuel Kalule
- Inspector General of Government, Justice Irene Mulyagonja spoke on Accountability and Anti-corruption.
- H.E Stephanie Rivoal, Ambassador of France talked about the Abolition of Death penalty.
- H.E Per Lindgärde, Ambassador of Sweden, spoke on Women’s Rights and Gender Equality
- Chapter Four, Nicholas Opiyo on Anti-discrimination
And then it was us, Esteri Tebandeke and I did a 10 minute performance inspired by the Case of Susan Kigula, abolition of the death penalty .
The closing remarks were by
- Javier Sanjuan ,UN office for Human Rights .
- H.E Kristian Schmidt , EU Head of Delegation .
Video of performance